Just a Little Bit of Wind, A Little Bit of Dust





4 Nov 2006

Outlook: Sunny

Temperature: 5 – 16 degrees Celcius

Wind speed: 29 – 49 km/h

One of those really windy days in Beijing.

I was all dressed, ready to cycle out to the nearby market for some groceries. As soon as I got to the bicycle shed, a gust of wind stopped me on my tracks. Leaves were rustling and trees were swaying madly to the erratic rhythm of the gale.

Ignoring it, I pushed my bike out onto the street and started cycling. Within 5 meters, I chickened out. Sand was getting into my eyes. I let out a yelp as my cap was blown off my head. In the distance, I could see dirt being blown off the basketball courts to form a thick yellow fog chasing an imaginary victim across the road.

Time to get back indoors.

From my ninth floor window, I could see mini dust storms sweeping across campus. Windows were shaking and there were whirring sounds from the outside. Is this the beginning of winter?

No comments:

Unblock Your Internet